Music scholarships are awarded each year to candidates who place within the acceptable range on the entrance exam, and who successfully fulfill the requirements in their particular performance area. Please indicate your interest in auditioning on the entrance exam.
1. Major and harmonic minor scales and arpeggios (up to and including 4 sharps and 4 flats) to be performed at a comfortable tempo and in at least two octaves.
2. A Bach invention or comparable Baroque selection.
3. The first movement of a sonata or higher-level sonatina by Clementi, Mozart, Haydn or Beethoven
4. A representative selection from 18th, 19th or 20th centuries.
5. A short passage will be selected for sight-reading at the audition.
*Prior experience accompanying for school and church choirs or for school musical productions is a plus!
· Receive private instruction in or outside of school.
· Enroll in all Music Major classes in sophomore, junior and senior years.
· Accompany for Glee Club and Chorale rehearsals and performances.
· Assist in all rehearsals and performances of the fall musical production as needed.
· If selected to perform in the pit orchestra, attend all pit rehearsals and show performances.
· Represent the music department at Open House.
1. Vocal exercises to display technique, intonation and range.
2. A memorized selection from the 24 Italian Songs and Arias songbook or classical art song.
3. A contrasting classical musical theater selection.
*Students will be asked to demonstrate their aural skills by listening to short melodic phrases and singing them back with correct pitch and rhythm.
Receive private instruction in or outside of school.
Enroll in all Music Major classes in sophomore, junior and senior years.
Participate in all rehearsals and performances of Glee Club, Chorale and Liturgical Music Group.
Participate in auditions for PMEA District Chorus when eligable in the sophomore year. If selected to participate in District Chorus , audition for and participate in all successive choral festivals on Region and State levels.
Audition for the school musical, and if casted attend all rehearsals and performances in the fall.
Represent the music department at Open House.
1. 3 major scales from the following: G, D, A, F, Bb, Eb
2. Two contrasting pieces from the traditional repertoire appropriate to your particular instrument that demonstrate your level of technical proficiency and musicianship. Pieces should include works from Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Contemporary or Jazz musical literature.
*A short passage will be selected for sight-reading.
- Receive private instruction in or outside of school
- Enroll in all Music Major classes in sophomore, junior and senior years.
- Participate in Orchestra (and String Ensemble if a string player). Rehearsals are scheduled on Monday afternoons, and weekly attendance is mandatory. Annual concerts are scheduled in December and May although additional performance opportunities may present themselves during the course of the school year.
- If selected to perform in the pit orchestra for the fall musical, attend all pit rehearsals and show performances.
- Participate in auditions for both All-Catholic Band/Orchestra and PMEA District and Regional Band/Orchestra. All-Catholic and District auditions are held in the fall. If students are selected to participate at the District level, they will then re-audition for Regional Band/Orchestra at the time of the Festival.
- Represent the Music Department at Open House.
The general requirements for all Gwynedd Mercy Academy Music Scholarship recipients include:
- Maintaining a 90 average or above in Music Major 1, Honors Music 2 and Honors Music 3.
- Providing administrative help in the music department throughout the year (such as updating music bulletin boards or assisting with music filing).
- Assisting the Music Department with all preparations for Open House and other special events as they occur throughout the school year.